This has been a huge hit in my family. This is my go-to recipe for big family events or whenever someone needs a meal. It also freezes very well.
Sicilian Spaghetti Sauce
More From Southern Living
- 1/2 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6-ounce) can Italian-style tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- Hot cooked linguine
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Breadsticks (optional)
- Remove casings from sausage, and discard. Cook sausage and ground beef in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat 6 minutes, stirring until meat crumbles. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 4 minutes or until beef and sausage are no longer pink. Drain and set aside. Wipe skillet clean.
- Combine sauce and next 7 ingredients in skillet or Dutch oven; cook, stirring occasionally, 1 hour. Add sausage mixture and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, 1 hour and 30 minutes or until mixture thickens. Serve over linguine; sprinkle with cheese. Serve with breadsticks, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note