- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/3 cup drained and chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion (about 1/2 small onion)
- 1 6- ounces can tuna, drained
- 1 2- ounces tin anchovy fillets, drained and minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red- or white-wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup thin-sliced basil or mint leaves
How to Make It
Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Stir in the rice and boil until just done, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain. Rinse with cold water and drain thoroughly. Put the rice in a large glass or stainless-steel bowl.
Meanwhile, in a small frying pan, toast the pine nuts over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Or toast the pine nuts in a 350° oven for 5 to 10 minutes.
Stir the toasted pine nuts, the sun-dried tomatoes, capers, onion, tuna, and anchovies into the rice. Toss the rice salad with the oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, pepper, and basil.
Variations:: · If you'd like more anchovy flavor, use some of the oil from the anchovy tin in place of some of the olive oil.: · Add a handful of chopped pitted green or black olives.
Wine Recommendation: The wine scene on the sun-baked island of Sicily is dominated by a few large players, one of which is the firm of Regaleali. Their inexpensive rosé is a delight and an appropriate choice for this salad.