Yield: 1 (12-inch) round pizza
More From Southern Living
Rise: 1 Hour, 45 Minutes
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 (1/4-ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (100° to 110°)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Toppings: chopped onion, green or red bell pepper rings, shredded mozzarella cheese, shredded Parmesan cheese, shredded fresh basil
- Garnish: fresh rosemary sprigs
- Combine 2 cups flour, yeast, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in a large mixing bowl; stir in 1 1/2 cups warm water and vegetable oil.
- Beat at low speed with an electric mixer for 1 to 2 minutes; beat at high speed 3 minutes. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make dough stiff.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down, and press onto a lightly greased 12-inch round pizza pan or into a 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Sauté onion and garlic in hot olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until tender. Add remaining 1 teaspoon salt, tomatoes, and next 6 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; cook, covered, over medium heat 10 minutes. Spoon sauce over dough.
- Bake at 475° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle evenly with desired toppings; bake 10 to 15 more minutes. Garnish, if desired.
- Prep: 30 min.; Rise: 1 hr., 45 min.; Bake: 35 min
- Note: For thinner crust, divide dough in half; press onto 2 (12-inch) round pizza pans. Proceed with recipe as directed. Traditionally, Joyce makes this recipe in a rectangular shape.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes