- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 18 green olives, quartered
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups fish or chicken stock or broth
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 pounds fish fillets, cut into pieces
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 toasted baguette slices
- Garlic Aïoli
- Garnishes: 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint, 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
How to Make It
Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add onion, and sauée 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Add olives and next 5 ingredients; bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
Add fish, cover, and simmer 5 to 10 minutes or until fish is opaque and flakes with a fork. Season with salt and pepper.
Spread baguette slices with Garlic Aïoli.
Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish, if desired. Dollop remaining Garlic Aïoli on soup, if desired. Serve with baguette slices.