Sicilian Citrus Glazed Tuna with Braised Fennel in Orange Sauce
- 1/8 cup(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 fresh tuna steaks (6 oz each)
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup(s) freshly squeezed orange juice (1-2 oranges)
- 1 tablespoon(s) capers packed in water, drained and rinsed well
- 8 anchovy fillets in olive oil, drained and rinsed well
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoon(s) freshly chopped mint
- For the Fennel:
- 2 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pound(s) fennel, bulbs quartered
- 1 teaspoon(s) fennel seeds, crushed in a mortar
- 1 cup(s) freshly chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup(s) reduced sodium vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup(s) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup(s) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- 2. Add tuna steaks and cook 2-3 minutes per side until golden. Remove tuna from pan and place on a platter.
- 3. Add onions, capers, and anchovies to pan. Stir, and break up the anchovies with a wooden spoon.
- 4. Saute', uncovered, on medium heat, until onions are translucent (5 -7 minutes).
- 5. Add orange juice, stir well to combine, and cook, uncovered for 2-3 minutes.
- 6. Add tuna steaks back to the frying pan, cover and cook for 3-5 minutes per side until tuna is done.* Remove tuna from pan onto a serving platter.
- 7. In the meantime, make the fennel. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 8. Add the fennel bulbs and seeds and cook fennel for 5 minutes on each side, or until golden.
- 9. Stir in the parsley, salt, pepper, stock, and orange juice. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- 10. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 10-20 minutes, or until fennel is tender and most of the liquid has reduced.
- 11. Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
- 12. When fish is finished cooking, pour sauce over tuna, and arrange onions around top and side of platter.
- 13. Sprinkle fresh mint over the top of the dish. Serve warm with fennel on the side.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note