Sicilian Citrus Glazed Tuna Steaks with Braised Fennel
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- For the Tuna:
- 1/8 cup(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tuna steaks (4 ounces each)
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup(s) freshly squeezed orange juice (1-2 oranges)
- 1 tablespoon(s) capers packed in water, drained and rinsed well
- 8 anchovy fillets in olive oil, drained and rinsed well
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoon(s) freshly chopped mint
- For the Fennel:
- 2 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pound(s) fennel, bulbs quartered, stalks reserved for another use
- 1 teaspoon(s) fennel seeds, crushed in a mortar
- 1 cup(s) freshly chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup(s) reduced sodium vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup(s) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup(s) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add tuna steaks and cook 2-3 minutes per side until golden. Remove tuna from pan and place on a platter. Set aside.
- 2. Add onions, capers, and anchovies to pan. Stir, and break up the anchovies with a wooden spoon. Sauté, uncovered, on medium heat, until onions are translucent (5 -7 minutes).Add orange juice, stir well to combine, and cook, uncovered for 2-3 minutes.
- 3. Add tuna steaks back to the frying pan, cover and cook for 3-5 minutes per side until tuna is done.* Remove tuna from pan onto a serving platter.
- 4. In the meantime, make the fennel. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 5. Add the fennel bulbs and seeds and cook fennel for 5 minutes on each side, or until golden. Stir in the parsley, salt, pepper, stock, and orange juice. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- 6. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 10-20 minutes, or until fennel is tender and most of the liquid has reduced. Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
- 7. When fish is finished cooking, pour sauce over tuna, and arrange onions around top and side of platter. Sprinkle fresh mint over the top of the dish. Serve warm with fennel on the side.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note