Shuck beans are soaked in water for 24 hours, and are then cooked in a pressure cooker with salt pork.
More From Southern Living
- 1/2 pound shuck beans
- 6 ounces salt pork
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Wash shuck beans; discard any dark or discolored beans. Break shuck beans in half; place in a 6-quart pressure cooker with water to cover (about 6 cups). Cover and chill. Soak beans for 24 hours; do not drain. Bring to a boil, uncovered; reduce heat to medium, and cook 30 minutes. Drain and rinse beans.
- Return beans to pressure cooker; add salt pork and, if desired, salt. Add 1 inch cold water to cover (about 4 cups) to pressure cooker.
- Cover cooker with lid, and seal securely; place pressure control over vent and tube. Cook over medium-high heat 12 minutes or until pressure control rocks quickly back and forth. Reduce heat to medium low; cook 15 more minutes. (Pressure control will rock occasionally.)
- Remove pressure cooker from heat; run cold water over cooker to reduce pressure. Carefully remove lid so that steam escapes away from you.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used a Mirro 6-quart rocker top pressure cooker. If you have another model, cook according to manufacturer's instructions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This