Shrimp-and-Wild Rice Casserole
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- 1 (2.25-oz.) package sliced almonds
- 2 (6.2-oz.) boxes fast-cooking long-grain and wild rice mix
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 pounds peeled and deveined, medium-size raw shrimp (4 1/50 count)
- 2 (10 3/4-oz.) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (8-oz.) cans chopped water chestnuts, drained
- 1 (8-oz.) container sour cream
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups soft, fresh breadcrumbs
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake almonds in a single layer in a shallow pan 4 to 6 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.
- 2. Prepare rice mixes according to package directions.
- 3. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add celery and onions. Sauté 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in shrimp, next 6 ingredients, rice, and 1 1/2 cups of each cheese. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 15- x 10-inch baking dish or 2 (11- x 7-inch) baking dishes. Top with breadcrumbs.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of each cheese, and top with toasted almonds. Bake 5 minutes.
- To Make Ahead: Prepare as directed in Steps 2 and 3. Cover with aluminum foil, and freeze up to 1 month. Remove from freezer, and let stand at room temperature 1 hour. Toast almonds as directed in Step 1. Bake casserole, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 55 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, and toasted almonds. Bake 5 more minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles