This is so yummy! Coated the goat cheese with breadcrumbs. Used a can of chopped plum tomatoes the second time I made this and it tasted just as good. Need to use all of the fresh basil the recipe says- it wasn't as good when I used less. Made this dish for a potluck and just crumbled the goat cheese throughout. Definitely will go into our dinner rotation!
Shrimp, Tomato, and Basil Linguine with Warm Goat Cheese Rounds
Most goat cheese is soft and creamy, and ideal for molding into patties and baking. Prepare the goat cheese rounds a day ahead and refrigerate to make this recipe extra easy.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 2 cups pasta mixture and 1 goat cheese round)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 461
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 14.3g
- Saturated fat: 6.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 24.5g
- Carbohydrate: 58.9g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 87mg
- Iron: 4.8mg
- Sodium: 562mg
- Calcium: 148mg
- 1 (1-ounce) slice white bread
- 1 (4-ounce) package log-shaped goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 cups chopped seeded peeled plum tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups hot cooked linguine (about 12 ounces uncooked pasta)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Basil sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1/2 cup. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on a baking sheet; bake at 400° for 2 1/2 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a shallow plate; cool completely. Slice goat cheese crosswise into 4 rounds. Press both sides of each round into breadcrumbs. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet; chill.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in tomato, water, sugar, and pepper; cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp and salt; cook 4 minutes or until shrimp are done. Remove from heat. Cover; keep warm.
- Bake cheese rounds at 400° for 10 minutes or until soft but still holding their shape.
- Add pasta and 1/2 cup basil to tomato mixture; toss to combine. Divide pasta mixture evenly among 4 bowls; top each serving with 1 goat cheese round. Garnish with basil sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes