- 1 (1-ounce) slice white bread
- 1 (4-ounce) package log-shaped goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 cups chopped seeded peeled plum tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups hot cooked linguine (about 12 ounces uncooked pasta)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Basil sprigs (optional)
- calories 461
- caloriesfromfat 28 %
- fat 14.3 g
- satfat 6.7 g
- monofat 4.8 g
- polyfat 1.4 g
- protein 24.5 g
- carbohydrate 58.9 g
- fiber 4.1 g
- cholesterol 87 mg
- iron 4.8 mg
- sodium 562 mg
- calcium 148 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°.
Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1/2 cup. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on a baking sheet; bake at 400° for 2 1/2 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a shallow plate; cool completely. Slice goat cheese crosswise into 4 rounds. Press both sides of each round into breadcrumbs. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet; chill.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in tomato, water, sugar, and pepper; cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp and salt; cook 4 minutes or until shrimp are done. Remove from heat. Cover; keep warm.
Bake cheese rounds at 400° for 10 minutes or until soft but still holding their shape.
Add pasta and 1/2 cup basil to tomato mixture; toss to combine. Divide pasta mixture evenly among 4 bowls; top each serving with 1 goat cheese round. Garnish with basil sprigs, if desired.