This was really good and I'm sure I'll make it again because it was easy but I don't think it tasted like a traditional Pad Thai. I did modify the recipe a little. Instead of cabbage I added two scrambled eggs, bean sprouts, and 1 c. shredded carrots to make it more traditional. I also used 1/2 lb of noodles so we wouldn't have left overs.
Shrimp and Tofu Pad Thai
Pad thai is perhaps the best-known Thai dish to Americans. Slightly under-cooking the noodles will preserve their texture when reheating them the next day. Cook this dish the night before, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate; reheat single servings in the microwave the next day.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 339
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Protein: 16.8g
- Carbohydrate: 48.8g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 88mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 819mg
- Calcium: 80mg
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 1 pound extrafirm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups finely shredded napa (Chinese) cabbage
- 1/4 cup Thai fish sauce (such as Three Crabs)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce (such as Lee Kum Kee)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 pound medium shrimp, cooked and peeled
- 2 cups thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 pound uncooked wide rice noodles (bánh pho)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu; sauté 4 minutes or until lightly browned on all sides. Spoon tofu into a large bowl. Add cabbage to pan; sauté 30 seconds or until just beginning to wilt. Add cabbage to tofu. Remove pan from heat.
- Combine fish sauce and next 6 ingredients (through chili garlic sauce). Combine water and cornstarch, stirring with a whisk; stir into vinegar mixture.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; sauté 1 minute. Add vinegar mixture; bring to a boil, and cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add shrimp mixture, green onions, and cilantro to cabbage mixture; toss to combine.
- Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain well. Add noodles to cabbage mixture; toss well to combine.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note