One of my go to recipes. We sometimes do it as shrimp and chicken instead of shrimp and tofu, or just do shrimp. Sometimes we do extra cabbage instead of the rice noodles. Overall, a very flavorful dish.
Shrimp and Tofu Pad Thai
Pad thai is perhaps the best-known Thai dish to Americans. Slightly under-cooking the noodles will preserve their texture when reheating them the next day. Cook this dish the night before, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate; reheat single servings in the microwave the next day.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 339
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Protein: 16.8g
- Carbohydrate: 48.8g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 88mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 819mg
- Calcium: 80mg
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 1 pound extrafirm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups finely shredded napa (Chinese) cabbage
- 1/4 cup Thai fish sauce (such as Three Crabs)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce (such as Lee Kum Kee)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 pound medium shrimp, cooked and peeled
- 2 cups thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 pound uncooked wide rice noodles (bánh pho)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu; sauté 4 minutes or until lightly browned on all sides. Spoon tofu into a large bowl. Add cabbage to pan; sauté 30 seconds or until just beginning to wilt. Add cabbage to tofu. Remove pan from heat.
- Combine fish sauce and next 6 ingredients (through chili garlic sauce). Combine water and cornstarch, stirring with a whisk; stir into vinegar mixture.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; sauté 1 minute. Add vinegar mixture; bring to a boil, and cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add shrimp mixture, green onions, and cilantro to cabbage mixture; toss to combine.
- Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain well. Add noodles to cabbage mixture; toss well to combine.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note