They are soooo good, and really easy to make. Great party food.also, I make them ahead of time, and put them in the fridge until I bake them just before guest arrive.
Shrimp Toast Puffs with Two Sauces
Category Finalist, Starters and Drinks. "The combination of the shrimp puffs served with two sauces makes this a perfect party appetizer. Beat the egg and egg whites well so the puffs will rise when baked." —Julie DeMatteo, Clementon, New Jersey
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 141
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fat: 4.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 10.4g
- Carbohydrate: 12.9g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 83mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 628mg
- Calcium: 30mg
- 1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 2 bacon slices, diced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bottled ground fresh ginger (such as Spice World)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
- Soy-garlic sauce:
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion tops
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot chili sauce with garlic (such as KA-ME)
- 1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- Sweet chili sauce:
- 6 tablespoons sweet chili garlic sauce (such as Taste of Asia)
- 4 teaspoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 2. To prepare puffs, place shrimp in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped.
- 3. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in pan (reserve bacon for another use). Add shrimp to reserved drippings in pan, and saute 3 minutes. Add 1/3 cup green onions to pan; saute 1 minute. Stir in ginger.
- 4. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine 1 cup water, butter, and sugar in a large heavy saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Reduce heat to low; add flour, stirring well until mixture is smooth and pulls away from sides of pan. Remove from heat. Add egg whites and egg, 1 at a time; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Gently stir in shrimp mixture.
- 5. Drop dough by level tablespoons, 2 inches apart, onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350° (do not remove puffs from oven); bake an additional 10 minutes or until browned and crisp.
- 6. To prepare the soy-garlic sauce, combine soy sauce and next 4 ingredients (through oil) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- 7. To prepare sweet chili sauce, combine chili garlic sauce and 4 teaspoons vinegar in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Serve sauces with shrimp puffs.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note