- 1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 2 bacon slices, diced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bottled ground fresh ginger (such as Spice World)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
- Soy-garlic sauce:
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion tops
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot chili sauce with garlic (such as KA-ME)
- 1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- Sweet chili sauce:
- 6 tablespoons sweet chili garlic sauce (such as Taste of Asia)
- 4 teaspoons seasoned rice vinegar
- calories 141
- caloriesfromfat 31 %
- fat 4.9 g
- satfat 2.4 g
- monofat 1.3 g
- polyfat 0.5 g
- protein 10.4 g
- carbohydrate 12.9 g
- fiber 0.5 g
- cholesterol 83 mg
- iron 1.6 mg
- sodium 628 mg
- calcium 30 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 425°.
To prepare puffs, place shrimp in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped.
Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in pan (reserve bacon for another use). Add shrimp to reserved drippings in pan, and saute 3 minutes. Add 1/3 cup green onions to pan; saute 1 minute. Stir in ginger.
Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine 1 cup water, butter, and sugar in a large heavy saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Reduce heat to low; add flour, stirring well until mixture is smooth and pulls away from sides of pan. Remove from heat. Add egg whites and egg, 1 at a time; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Gently stir in shrimp mixture.
Drop dough by level tablespoons, 2 inches apart, onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350° (do not remove puffs from oven); bake an additional 10 minutes or until browned and crisp.
To prepare the soy-garlic sauce, combine soy sauce and next 4 ingredients (through oil) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
To prepare sweet chili sauce, combine chili garlic sauce and 4 teaspoons vinegar in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Serve sauces with shrimp puffs.