Shrimp-Tasso-Andouille Sausage Gumbo
Tasso is a spicy smoked cut of pork or beef popular in many Cajun dishes.
Yield: Makes 5 qt. (about 20 servings)
More From Southern Living
- 1 pound andouille or smoked sausage
- 1 pound tasso or smoked ham
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 2 large green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 (32-oz.) boxes chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 pounds medium-size raw shrimp, peeled and, if desired, deveined
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Hot cooked rice
- Garnishes: sliced green onions, filé powder
- 1. Cut first 2 ingredients into bite-size pieces. Place in a large Dutch oven over medium heat, and cook, stirring often, 20 minutes or until browned. Drain on paper towels. Wipe out Dutch oven with paper towels.
- 2. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat; gradually whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 25 minutes or until mixture is a dark mahogany.
- 3. Stir in onions and next 3 ingredients; cook, stirring often, 18 to 20 minutes or until tender. Gradually add broth. Stir in sausage, tasso, thyme, and black and red ground peppers.
- 4. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Stir in shrimp the last 15 minutes of cooking; stir in parsley. Remove from heat; serve over hot cooked rice. Garnish, if desired.
- : Omit chicken thighs and proceed with Steps 1, 2, and 3. Proceed with Step 4, stirring in 4 lb. medium-size raw shrimp, peeled and, if desired, deveined, the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- Philip Elliott, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews