This was delicious! I made it for the first time tonight. I had to substitute some of the shrimp for cooked chicken because my boys don't like shrimp and I used Rao's marinara sauce because it is awesome and my family loved it! I will definitely make this again, even though there is some effort to put it all together.
Saucy, rich Shrimp-Stuffed Shells offer a nice variation to regular stuffed shells for your pasta dinner menu. The shrimp goes into the pasta shells raw to prevent it from overcooking while the pasta bakes. Look for potato starch near the cornstarch in your supermarket.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 10 Minutes
- Calories: 496
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 6.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 31.1g
- Carbohydrate: 85.6g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 163mg
- Iron: 4.1mg
- Sodium: 575mg
- Calcium: 208mg
- 20 uncooked jumbo pasta shells (about 8 ounces)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 6 cloves)
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- Cooking spray
- 3 cups lower-sodium marinara sauce (such as McCutcheon's), divided
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Cook pasta 7 minutes or until almost al dente, omitting salt and fat. Drain well.
- 3. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add shallots; cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add cream cheese, milk, and pepper; cook until cheese melts, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in basil. Place shrimp in a bowl. Sprinkle with potato starch; toss well to coat. Add cream cheese mixture to shrimp; toss well.
- 4. Divide shrimp mixture evenly among pasta shells. Coat a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with cooking spray; spread 1 cup marinara over bottom of dish. Arrange shells in prepared dish; top with remaining 2 cups marinara. Sprinkle shells evenly with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until shrimp is done.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note