My husband gobbled this up and went back for seconds. I loved all of the fresh veggies, although they took some time to prep. I followed the recipe except that I used precooked shrimp, so I skipped the last half of step 2 and added the shrimp to the pan with the cooked egg at the end of step 3. My husband's only complaint about the dish was that the shrimp had no flavor, but maybe it was because they were precooked. I thought the shrimp flavor was fine.
Shrimp and Shiitake Rice Bowl
If you can't find fresh shiitake mushrooms, button mushrooms are a fine substitute.
Sustainable Choice: Look for Pacific white shrimp that have been farmed in fully recirculating systems or inland ponds.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 18 Minutes
- Calories: 206
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 14.2g
- Carbohydrate: 23g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 109mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 528mg
- Calcium: 63mg
- 1 (8.8-ounce) pouch precooked brown rice (such as Uncle Ben's)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 24 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms (about 12 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces snow peas, trimmed
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1. Heat the brown rice according to package directions. Set rice aside.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add egg; cook for 1 minute or until done, stirring constantly to scramble. Remove egg from pan. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Add shrimp, and cook for 2 minutes or until done. Remove shrimp from pan.
- 3. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Add mushrooms and next 3 ingredients (through garlic); cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in peas and bell pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add egg, shrimp, and rice to pan, and cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat; stir in soy sauce and oyster sauce. Top with sliced green onions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note