- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 8 ounces shallots, peeled and slivered lengthwise
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat (2%) milk
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or madeira
- Salt and white or black pepper
- 4 slices firm-textured white bread (about 4 oz. total; see notes)
- 1 pound shelled cooked tiny shrimp, thawed if frozen
- calories 319
- caloriesfromfat 25 %
- protein 27 g
- fat 8.8 g
- satfat 4.8 g
- carbohydrate 29 g
- fiber 1 g
- sodium 439 mg
- cholesterol 199 mg
How to Make It
Melt butter in a 4- to 5-quart pan over medium-high heat; add shallots and stir often until limp, about 3 minutes.
Sprinkle flour over shallots and stir until well mixed, about 1 minute. Whisk in milk and stir until mixture boils and thickens, about 5 minutes. Add sherry and salt and pepper to taste; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, to blend flavors, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, toast bread; trim off and discard crusts if desired. Rinse and drain shrimp. Add shrimp to sauce and stir often just until simmering again, about 2 minutes.
Set a slice of toast on each plate. Spoon hot shrimp Newburg equally over toast.