- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound andouille sausage, cut into 1-inch rounds
- 1 (medium) onion, finely chopped
- 1 (large) celery rib, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 (2 cups) tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 cup bottled clam juice
- 1 bag (10-ounce) fresh or frozen baby lima beans, thawed if frozen
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 pounds (large) shell-on shrimp
How to Make It
In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil. Add the sausage and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until lightly browned, 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate.
Add the onion, celery and green pepper to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cayenne and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring, until their liquid is nearly evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add the stock and clam juice and bring to a boil. Scatter the sausage, lima beans and half of the parsley on top. Add the shrimp, cover tightly and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, until the shrimp are pink and cooked through. Let the stew rest for 5 minutes, then sprinkle with the remaining parsley and serve.