Shrimp and Sausage Pilau
- 1 pound unpeeled, large fresh shrimp
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16-ounce) package kielbasa sausage, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 cups long-grain rice, uncooked
- 1 (32-ounce) container chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Peel shrimp, leaving 6 or 8 with tails on; devein, if desired.
- Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven until crisp; remove bacon, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in pan. Drain bacon on paper towels; crumble and set aside.
- Sauté 6 to 8 shrimp with tails on in hot bacon drippings for 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Remove from Dutch oven; set aside. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add sausage, and cook 5 minutes or until sausage is browned. Add rice, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 to 4 minutes or until rice is coated with oil.
- Stir in 2 cups chicken broth, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Add 1 cup broth, and cook, covered, 15 minutes, adding additional broth if necessary.
- Arrange uncooked shrimp evenly over rice mixture in Dutch oven. Cover and cook 5 minutes; toss gently. Top with reserved shrimp with tails. Remove from heat; cover, and let stand for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with bacon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles