This was excellent. I had some shrimp defrosted for dinner and didn't know what to make and I came across this recipe. Had some linguica sausage that I didn't know what to do with either so this was perfect. My family loved it! Only thing I did different was not adding thyme, added some extra creole sesoning and extra broth. Also, my suggestion would be to use medium grain rice because long grain took longer to cook (why I had to add more broth). Definitely a keeper and certainly easy enough to make weeknight.
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Lydia DeGaris Pursell
More From Coastal Living
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound andouille or other spicy smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, with juice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage, and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- 2. Add onion and next 7 ingredients to hot drippings in Dutch oven; sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in reserved sausage, tomatoes, broth, and rice. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 3. Stir in shrimp; cover and cook 5 minutes or until done. Sprinkle each serving with green onions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews