The shrimp and Rémoulade Sauce are also wonderful over fresh sliced red tomatoes.
1. Bring 2 qt. water to a boil in a Dutch oven; add shrimp, and cook 3 to 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Drain and rinse with cold water.
2. Whisk together egg and buttermilk in a shallow bowl or pie plate.
3. Combine cornmeal, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 1/4 cup flour in another shallow bowl or pie plate.
4. Dredge tomato slices in remaining 1/4 cup flour; dip in egg mixture, and dredge in cornmeal mixture.
5. Pour oil to a depth of 1/2 inch in a large cast-iron skillet; heat to 375°. Fry tomatoes, in batches, in hot oil 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels or a wire rack. Sprinkle hot tomatoes with salt to taste.
6. Arrange tomatoes on a serving plate. Spoon 2 tablespoons Rémoulade Sauce on center of each tomato. Top each with 3 shrimp. Serve immediately. Garnish, if desired.