- 5 ounces uncooked rice vermicelli noodles
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 5 teaspoons fish sauce (such as Three Crabs)
- 2 serrano chiles, thinly sliced
- 4 cups (1/4-inch) slices green leaf lettuce
- 3 cups diagonally cut slices seeded Kirby (pickling) cucumber (about 2)
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup torn Thai basil leaves
- 1/4 cup torn mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/3 cup (1/4-inch) slices green onions
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- calories 462
- fat 17.6 g
- satfat 1.9 g
- monofat 9 g
- polyfat 5.1 g
- protein 24.6 g
- carbohydrate 52.9 g
- fiber 4.4 g
- cholesterol 143 mg
- iron 3.2 mg
- sodium 802 mg
- calcium 146 mg
How to Make It
Cook rice vermicelli noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain.
Combine 1/2 cup lukewarm water and granulated sugar in a medium bowl, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add lime juice, vinegar, fish sauce, and chiles; set aside.
Combine lettuce, cucumber, and herbs; set aside.
Combine cornstarch, brown sugar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl; stir until well combined. Add shrimp; toss to coat. Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, and swirl to coat. Add half of shrimp; cook for 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until shrimp are seared. Remove from pan. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to wok; repeat procedure with remaining shrimp. Reduce heat to medium-high. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to wok; swirl to coat. Add onions and garlic; stir-fry 30 seconds. Return shrimp to pan; stir-fry 1 minute.
Arrange about 1 cup lettuce mixture in each of 4 large bowls, and top each serving with about 1 cup noodles and 2 tablespoons chopped peanuts. Divide the shrimp evenly among servings, and serve each with 1/4 cup sauce.