Many steps to this recipe - so, maybe not a weeknight meal. However, it was very good! I saved a few more calories by using whole wheat hamburger buns (hollowed them out as instructed). I used premade bread crumbs, rather than taking the time to make my own. Used a squeeze of fresh lemon on top of each sandwich at time of serving.
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour
Amount per serving
- Calories: 400
- Fat: 10.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Protein: 32g
- Carbohydrate: 46.5g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 172mg
- Iron: 6mg
- Sodium: 736mg
- Calcium: 143mg
- Rémoulade slaw:
- 3 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 1/2 cups packaged cabbage-and-carrot coleslaw
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 large egg white
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 (2 1/2-ounce) pieces French bread baguette, split and toasted
- 3 tablespoons stone-ground cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato
- 1. To prepare rémoulade slaw, combine first 9 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add coleslaw; toss to coat. Cover and chill.
- 2. To prepare po'boys, combine cornstarch and next 4 ingredients (through egg white) in a medium bowl; whisk until blended. Add shrimp; toss well. Marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes, stirring once.
- 3. Hollow out top and bottom halves of bread, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick shell. Place torn bread in a food processor; process until very fine crumbs form. Set aside 1/2 cup breadcrumbs; reserve remaining breadcrumbs for another use. Combine 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, cornmeal, and black pepper in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal and shake to combine.
- 4. Remove shrimp from bowl; discard marinade. Add shrimp to breadcrumb mixture. Seal and shake to coat.
- 5. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add shrimp; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done.
- 6. Arrange 1/2 cup slaw on each bottom half of bread. Top with one quarter of shrimp and 2 tomato slices. Cover with top half of bread.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches