- Rémoulade slaw:
- 3 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 1/2 cups packaged cabbage-and-carrot coleslaw
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 large egg white
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 (2 1/2-ounce) pieces French bread baguette, split and toasted
- 3 tablespoons stone-ground cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato
- calories 400
- fat 10.4 g
- satfat 1.7 g
- monofat 3.9 g
- polyfat 2.3 g
- protein 32 g
- carbohydrate 46.5 g
- fiber 3.9 g
- cholesterol 172 mg
- iron 6 mg
- sodium 736 mg
- calcium 143 mg
How to Make It
To prepare rémoulade slaw, combine first 9 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add coleslaw; toss to coat. Cover and chill.
To prepare po'boys, combine cornstarch and next 4 ingredients (through egg white) in a medium bowl; whisk until blended. Add shrimp; toss well. Marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes, stirring once.
Hollow out top and bottom halves of bread, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick shell. Place torn bread in a food processor; process until very fine crumbs form. Set aside 1/2 cup breadcrumbs; reserve remaining breadcrumbs for another use. Combine 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, cornmeal, and black pepper in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal and shake to combine.
Remove shrimp from bowl; discard marinade. Add shrimp to breadcrumb mixture. Seal and shake to coat.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add shrimp; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done.
Arrange 1/2 cup slaw on each bottom half of bread. Top with one quarter of shrimp and 2 tomato slices. Cover with top half of bread.