- 6 cups water
- 1 (3 1/2-ounce) package shrimp and crab boil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 pounds large shrimp
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups herb stuffing mix
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded extra sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons commercial barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup catsup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Hot sauce to taste
How to Make It
Combine water, shrimp and crab boil, and 1 tablespoon salt in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes. Stir in shrimp; return to a boil, and cook 3 minutes. Drain well. Rinse with cold water. Let cool to touch. Peel and devein shrimp; set aside.
Sauté onion, green pepper, and celery in butter in a large heavy skillet until tender. Remove from heat, and set aside.
Combine tomatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a saucepan; cook over medium heat 10 minutes.
Add stewed tomatoes to vegetable mixture in skillet; mix well. Cook over low heat 5 minutes. Add stuffing mix; stir well. Stir in 1 cup shredded cheese; remove from heat. Add barbecue sauce, catsup, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and reserved shrimp; mix well.
Spoon mixture into a 2-quart casserole; sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Serve hot.