- 3 large onions, chopped
- 3 large green peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, cleaned and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 (12-ounce) containers Standard oysters, drained
- 2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups cooked regular rice
How to Make It
Sauté onion, green pepper, celery, and garlic in shortening until tender. Stir in tomato paste, water, and salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 hours.
Return mixture to a boil; stir in oysters and shrimp. Cook, uncovered, 5 minutes or until shrimp are tender and oyster edges curl. Stir in rice.
Spoon jambalaya into individual bowls; serve warm.