In contrast to other reviews, I loved this dish, and it comes together easily! Great contrast of tastes between crunchy almonds and crisp veggies versus the creamy orzo and tender shrimp. Best part was the sun-dried tomato sprinkles which infused every bite - almost like an invisible pasta sauce yum! Only thing I might do differently is replace the bell peppers with a different veggie, since bell peppers aren't my favorite.
Shrimp and Orzo Pilaf
Serve this easy entrée with Raspberry-Asparagus Medley, grilled fruit kebabs, or cold soup. Rice-shaped orso pasta soaks up the flavor of the chicken broth it's cooked in. Toasted almonds provide contast to the smooth texture of the orzo. If you don't have sun-dried tomato sprinkles, chop regular sun-dried tomatoes to measure 1/4 cup.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 381
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 28g
- Carbohydrate: 50.1g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Cholesterol: 133mg
- Iron: 4.7mg
- Sodium: 688mg
- Calcium: 83mg
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato sprinkles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted and divided
- Bring broth to a boil in a large Dutch oven; stir in orzo. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and cover.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add shrimp; sauté for 2 minutes. Add carrot, bell peppers, tomato sprinkles, salt, and black pepper; cook 2 minutes or until shrimp are done and vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Stir in 1/4 cup almonds. Combine shrimp mixture and orzo; sprinkle with remaining almonds.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This