Fun dinner. I used the left over half of cabbage head from St Patrick's Day Corned Beef. I also added about 1/2 tablespoon lime juice to the sauce once it thickened to cut down the saltiness. About 1 serving bundle of the noodles will work for 2 people, we used 2 for 3 people and had left overs. The sauce is a good solid sauce that could be used in any number of other Asian dishes.
Shrimp Napa Wraps
Mild-tasting napa cabbage holds the ingredients in this twist on lettuce wraps. You can prepare the sauce up to three days in advance, and the rest of the ingredients up to one day ahead. Arrange the components--cabbage leaves, noodles, vegetable mixture, shrimp, and sauce--buffet-style so that folks can assemble their own wraps.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 151
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 3.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 10.6g
- Carbohydrate: 19.7g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 72mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 443mg
- Calcium: 55mg
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 12 napa (Chinese) cabbage leaves
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 cups cooked bean threads (cellophane noodles; about 3 ounces uncooked)
- 36 medium shrimp, cooked and peeled (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- To prepare sauce, combine the first 6 ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook until the sugar dissolves and sauce slightly thickens (about 5 minutes), stirring frequently. Remove from heat; cover and chill.
- To prepare wraps, steam cabbage, covered, 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain and pat dry; set aside.
- Heat canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrot and next 4 ingredients (through 2 garlic cloves) to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add cilantro, basil, and juice; toss gently to combine. Place about 3 tablespoons vegetable mixture and 2 tablespoons bean threads on each cabbage leaf. Top each with 3 shrimp; roll up. Serve with sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes