this was a pretty good side salad for a bbq.
Shrimp, Lemon, and Spinach Whole-grain Pasta Salad
We lightened up this pasta salad by replacing the usual mayonnaise dressing with Greek-style low-fat yogurt, which has been strained so that it's thick and rich-tasting. Prep and Cook Time: 35 minutes.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 405
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Protein: 23g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 54g
- Fiber: 10g
- Sodium: 475mg
- Cholesterol: 81mg
- 12 ounces whole-grain rotini, rotelle, or fusilli pasta
- 1 pound (30 to 35 per lb.) peeled deveined shrimp, tails removed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- About 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups loosely packed baby spinach leaves
- 1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas (garbanzos), drained and rinsed
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat plain Greek-style yogurt (or whole-milk plain yogurt)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender to the bite, 9 to 12 minutes or according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- 2. Meanwhile, toss shrimp with 2 tbsp. olive oil, onion, garlic, 3/4 tsp. salt, chile flakes, and cumin; marinate at room temperature 10 minutes. Preheat a medium frying pan over medium heat, then add shrimp and marinade. Cook, stirring often, until shrimp are pink and firm, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 3. In a large bowl, toss together pasta, shrimp mixture, spinach, chickpeas, yogurt, mint, lemon juice, remaining oil, and lemon zest. Season to taste with salt. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note