We make this for an annual spring party and it always gets finished. Fairly quick to make and since we can make it in advance and have it ready for the party, that helps in timing. Little pricy, so factor that into your party budget, but if that works for you, then I highly recommend this appetizer.
More From Southern Living
- 7 1/2 cups water
- 3 pounds unpeeled, large fresh shrimp
- 2 small purple onions, sliced
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1. Bring water to a boil; add shrimp, and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Drain and rinse with cold water. Peel shrimp; devein, if desired.
- 2. Layer shrimp and onion slices in an airtight container.
- 3. Whisk together oil and next 10 ingredients; pour over shrimp mixture. Cover and chill 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers