This recipe is delicious! My entire family loved it. I prefer to use Jasmine rice in this recipe. It works perfectly. --It is great in the summer as a side or to eat on New Years Day.
Shrimp and Hoppin' John Salad
Photo: Jean Allsopp
- 4 bacon slices, coarsely chopped
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 (15.8-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup hot cooked rice
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds peeled cooked shrimp
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat 5 minutes or until crisp. Add shallots, celery, and bell pepper; sauté 7 minutes or until tender. Stir in black-eyed peas and next 8 ingredients. Remove from heat.
- Combine lemon juice and oil; stir into shrimp mixture. Cover and chill several hours.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note