- 6 quarts water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons seafood seasoning
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups finely chopped onion
- 2 pounds okra, sliced
- 1 cup chopped ham
- 1 (24-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 pound lump crab meat
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon whole oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon whole thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Hot cooked rice
How to Make It
Bring water and seafood seasoning to a boil in a large Dutch oven; add shrimp, and return to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes. Drain well, reserving liquid; rinse shrimp with cold water. Peel and devein shrimp; chill until needed.
Melt bacon drippings in a 10- quart stock pot over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add onion, and sauté until tender. Add okra and ham; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 10 minutes. Add next 10 ingredients; mix well. Pour 6 cups reserved shrimp liquid into gumbo; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally (add additional water, if necessary). Add shrimp, and cook an additional 20 minutes.
Remove bay leaves; spoon gumbo into individual soup bowls over rice. Serve immediately.