- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup freshly grated garlic and herb-flavored Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
- 2/3 cup chopped carrot (about 1 large)
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper (about 1 small)
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans zesty diced tomatoes with jalapeño peppers (such as Del Monte), undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt-free Cajun seasoning
- 1 1/4 pounds large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- calories 246
- fat 2.7 g
- satfat 0.3 g
- protein 19.8 g
- carbohydrate 34.0 g
- fiber 3.2 g
- cholesterol 114 mg
- iron 3.8 mg
- sodium 928 mg
- calcium 109 mg
How to Make It
Cook grits according to package directions, using 4 cups water. Stir in Parmesan cheese; set aside, and keep warm.
Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add carrot and green pepper; cook 3 minutes, stirring often. Add tomatoes, 1/2 cup water, and Cajun seasoning. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Add shrimp, and cook 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Spoon 2/3 cup grits into each of 6 individual serving bowls; spoon about 1/2 cup shrimp mixture over grits.
Temper the spiciness of this dish by substituting one can of plain diced tomatoes for one can of the zesty type.