The flavor of this dish is wonderful!! But a *WARNING*... I only keep Egg Beaters in my house, and didn't think anything of it when this recipe called for egg whites, as I always sub the EB for any egg ingredient. However, I didn't read through it far enough to realize that I would need to beat the egg whites to form, essentially, a meringue, which most likely provided fluffiness to the casserole. While I was hopeful that it would work (I mean, Egg Beaters are 99% egg whites!?)... it doesn't. I beat, and beat, and beat them... nadda. Again, the flavor is AMAZING (I also used Cabot Reduced Fat Jalapeno Cheddar & LOTS of Crystal sauce), but if you're like me & only use Egg Beaters, pick up a carton of eggs & separate those whites!!
Shrimp and Grits Casserole
This dish is best prepared just before serving. But you can save time by shredding the cheese and slicing the onions, bell pepper, and shrimp the night before.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 139
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 12.6g
- Carbohydrate: 12.8g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 64mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 372mg
- Calcium: 77mg
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked yellow stone-ground grits
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp, each cut into 3 pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 3 large egg whites
- Cooking spray
- Bring chicken broth and salt to a boil in a large saucepan; add grits, stirring with a whisk. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Add 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, bell pepper, garlic, and mushrooms to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Sprinkle shrimp with black pepper, and add to pan; cook 1 minute. Stir in rind, juice, Worcestershire, and hot pepper sauce; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Place grits and shrimp mixture in a large bowl; stir gently. Beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into shrimp mixture. Spoon mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until puffed and lightly browned. Let stand 20 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note