This is a fantastic recipe. I have made it several times and everyone loves it!! If I make it for more than two people, I double the shrimp recipe, but not the grits (there's more than enough for everyone).
Shrimp and Grits
The original recipe for this hearty shrimp and grits dish is from Bill Smith, executive chef at Crook's Corner, the landmark Southern restaurant in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
More From Southern Living
- 2 bacon slices
- 1 pound unpeeled, medium-size raw shrimp
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- Cheese Grits
- 1. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 10 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tsp. drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon.
- 2. Peel shrimp; devein, if desired. Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper; dredge in flour.
- 3. Sauté mushrooms in hot drippings with oil in skillet 5 minutes or until tender. Add green onions, and sauté 2 minutes. Add shrimp and garlic, and sauté 2 minutes or until shrimp are lightly browned. Stir in chicken broth, lemon juice, and hot sauce, and cook 2 more minutes, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet. Spoon shrimp mixture over hot Cheese Grits; sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note