Yield: 8 appetizer servings
- 6 cups water
- 1 pound unpeeled, medium-size fresh shrimp
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup light or dark beer
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Vegetable oil
- Bring 6 cups water to a boil; add shrimp, and cook 3 to 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Drain and rinse with cold water. Chill.
- Peel shrimp, and devein, if desired. Coarsely chop shrimp.
- Beat flour and next 5 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Stir in shrimp, onion, and next 3 ingredients. Cover and chill 2 hours.
- Pour oil to a depth of 5 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 375°. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls, and fry, in batches, 5 minutes or until golden. Drain fritters on paper towels.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Honey Brown beer.
- Pineapple Fritters: Substitute 1 (8-ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained and coarsely chopped, for shrimp. Omit onion, jalapeño, garlic, and thyme. Proceed as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers