Love this recipe! I've been making it since 2005. Takes time to chop everything, but it's all easy stuff. You can't mess it up. Also this was the first time I used one of these types of steam pans and it's great. You don't need to worry about ingredients leaking like you would if you were boiling them.
Shrimp Dumplings with Sweet-and-Sour Dipping Sauce
If you have a standard bamboo steamer, you'll need to cook the dumplings in two batches; with a two-tiered bamboo steamer, though, you can steam all of them at once. If you don't have a bamboo steamer, you can use a wok, vegetable steamer, and pie plate (see page 254 for instructions). Each dumpling cooks atop a carrot slice; the carrots prevent the dumplings from sticking to the steamer, and they serve as edible "trays." If the dumplings are touching in the basket, they may stick together once cooked.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 133
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 9.7g
- Carbohydrate: 18.1g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 533mg
- Calcium: 39mg
- 2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup finely chopped leek (about 1 large)
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and chopped
- 30 wonton wrappers
- 30 (1/4-inch-thick) slices carrot (about 3 large carrots)
- To prepare sauce, combine the first 5 ingredients.
- To prepare dumplings, heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add leek and 1 tablespoon ginger; sauté 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Combine leek mixture, mirin, salt, black pepper, and shrimp, stirring well.
- Working with 1 wonton wrapper at a time (cover remaining wrappers with a damp towel to prevent drying), spoon about 1 tablespoon shrimp mixture into center of each wrapper. Moisten edges of wrapper with water; bring 2 opposite corners to center, pinching points to seal. Bring remaining 2 corners to center, pinching points to seal. Pinch 4 edges together to seal.
- Add water to a wok or large skillet to a depth of 1 inch; bring to a boil. Line a bamboo steamer with 15 carrot slices; arrange 15 dumplings on top of carrot slices. Cover with steamer lid. Place steamer in pan; steam dumplings 12 minutes. Remove dumplings from steamer; cover and keep warm. Repeat procedure with the remaining carrot slices and dumplings. Serve with sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note