Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
More From Southern Living
Bake: 45 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (14.75-oz.) can cream-style corn
- 1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 cups plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 pound unpeeled, medium-size raw shrimp (31/35 count), peeled, deveined, and coarsely chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Heat a 10- to 12-inch (1 1/2-inch deep) cast-iron skillet in oven 15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Remove from heat. Stir in seeded and minced jalapeños.
- 3. Stir together milk, oil, and eggs in a large bowl. Stir in corn, cheese, onion mixture, and chopped green onion.
- 4. Stir together cornmeal and next 5 ingredients just until blended. Stir in milk mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in shrimp. Pour into hot cast-iron skillet.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.
- Note: To make cornbread in a baking dish, prepare recipe as directed, beginning with Step 2. Pour batter into a well greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Proceed with recipe as directed, increasing bake time to 50 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads