Shrimp-and-Corn Hush Puppies
With the addition of shrimp and corn, Shrimp-and-Corn Hush Puppies become more of a side dish than a bread. Enjoy this coastal twist on the traditional hush puppy.
More From Southern Living
Total: 35 Minutes
- Vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 3/4 cup diced sweet onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked shrimp (about 3/4 lb. peeled)
- 1 (8 1/4-oz.) can cream-style corn
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1. Pour oil to depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 375°. Combine cornmeal and next 5 ingredients. Add egg and buttermilk; stir just until moistened. Let stand 10 minutes.
- 2. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into hot oil, and fry, in 3 batches, 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Keep warm in a 200° oven.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note