Shrimp and Corn Chowder with Garlic Croutons
- Twelve 1/2-inch-thick slices Italian or French bread
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, 1 halved and 1 minced
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 2 slices bacon, finely diced
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 2 large scallions, thinly sliced crosswise
- Scant 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups bottled clam juice (12 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds shelled and deveined large shrimp, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon dry vermouth (optional)
- 1. Preheat the broiler. Brush both sides of the bread with the olive oil and arrange on a baking sheet. Broil the bread slices about 10 inches from the heat for about 3 minutes, until golden on both sides. Rub the croutons with the halved garlic clove.
- 2. Melt the butter in a large, heavy saucepan. Add the bacon and cook over moderately high heat until browned, about 4 minutes. Add the minced garlic, corn, scallions and crushed red pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until the corn is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- 3. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, until everything is coated. Add the clam juice, water and heavy cream and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the shrimp and simmer until just pink and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the vermouth.
- 4. Put the croutons in deep bowls, spoon the shrimp and corn chowder on top and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This