Shrimp Coconut Soup
Charles E. Walton IV
Buy cooked and peeled shrimp to save time.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 pound medium fresh shrimp, peeled
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons Thai green curry paste*
- 5 to 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (optional)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Garnish: 2 green onions, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1/4 cup)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Transfer shrimp to a plate. Add ginger, garlic, and bell pepper to pot, and sauté 1 to 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in curry paste, broth, coconut milk, and, if desired, fish sauce. Add lime juice and brown sugar, and bring to a boil; reduce heat, and let simmer 5 minutes. Stir in shrimp. Garnish, if desired.
- *Available in your grocer's ethnic foods section; red Asian chili sauce may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews