Shrimp Cocktail with Singapore Hot Sauce
More From Food & Wine
Total: 1 Hour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 (medium) red onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup ginger, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup Chinese chile bean sauce
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- 4 pounds (large) tail-on shrimp, cooked, chilled
- In a saucepan, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat until lightly browned, 4 minutes. Add the ginger and cook over moderately low heat until softened, 3 minutes. Add the sugar, ketchup and chile bean sauce and simmer over low heat until the sauce is thickened, 5 minutes.
- Transfer the sauce to a blender and add 1/2 cup of water. Blend until smooth. With the machine on, add another 1/2 cup of water. Scrape the sauce into the saucepan and simmer over low heat for 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until chilled.
- Squeeze lemon over the shrimp and serve with the sauce and more lemon wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This