Excellent-- followed the recipe exactly, and plan to make this again when we have company. Pretty easy, just a few ingredients, has a unique flair without being precious or trying too hard.
Shrimp and Chickpea Pasta
Karen Schmitt created this quick one-pan dinner with the colors of an Arizona desert sunset in mind. Prep and Cook Time: 40 minutes.
Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 2 cups)
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 462
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Protein: 33g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Carbohydrate: 57g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Sodium: 882mg
- Cholesterol: 142mg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 3/4 pound thin spaghetti
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 to 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 4 green onions, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1. In a large frying pan with a tight-fitting lid, cook olive oil, mushrooms, and salt, uncovered, over high heat, stirring until mushrooms start to brown slightly, 3 to 5 minutes. Lower heat to medium high, add garlic and chile flakes, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, and chickpeas. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 20 minutes.
- 2. Break pasta into 2-in. pieces. Add pasta to vegetable mixture, cover, and simmer until pasta is cooked on the outside but still raw in the center, about 4 minutes. Add shrimp, cover, and cook until shrimp and pasta are cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in oregano and 1 tbsp. lemon juice. Sprinkle with remaining lemon juice to taste. Garnish with green onions, parmesan, and parsley. Serve hot.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 2-cup serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes