- 2 tablespoon(s) corn oil
- 1 cup(s) celery chopped
- 1 whole(s) onion chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoon(s) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 16 ounce(s) stewed tomatoes undrained
- 4 cup(s) chicken stock
- 1 whole(s) bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground white pepper
- dash(es) Tabasco sauce
- 1 1/2 cup(s) okra thinly sliced
- 1 pound(s) chicken breast poached, cubed
- 1 pound(s) shrimp large poached
- salt to taste
- 3 cup(s) rice, optional
- 1. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the celery and onion and saute until softened. Remove to a small bowl and reserve.
- 2. Melt butter in the skillet. Stir in the flour to make a roux, stirring briskly to incorporate.
- 3. Add the tomatoes with their liquid and cook 5 minutes.
- 4. In a large casserole or kettle over medium heat, heat the stock until it boils. Add the celery and onion mixture, seasonings, file, and okra and cook about 10 minutes.
- 5. Add the roux and tomatoes and heat until the soup thickens and reduces by one quarter, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 6. Add the poached chicken and shrimp and let them heat through about 2 minutes. Season with salt to taste. Transfer the soup to a serving bowl and serve hot. Add rice to each serving, if desired.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by SabraLaddGore and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note