This recipe is so delicious !... whether you make it as written or if you have to substitute the type of rice, soup & cheeses to what you have on hand. This time, I used brown rice cooked in half water & half chicken broth, then added sautéed sliced mushrooms, fresh chopped parsley and salt & pepper to it. I couldn’t find Cream of Shrimp Soup so I used 1 can each of Cream of Chicken & Cream of Celery and added some Old Bay Seasoning for the seafood flavor. Also couldn’t find any Cheddar-Colby cheese, so used a Mexican Cheese Blend and it turned out fantastic! I highly recommend this recipe and can’t wait to make it for our next dinner guests!
Photo: Beth Dreiling; Styling: Buffy Hargett
More From Southern Living
Bake: 25 Minutes
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 1/2 pounds medium-size raw shrimp
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 (10 3/4-oz.) cans cream of shrimp soup, undiluted*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Cheddar-colby cheese blend
- 1/4 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 1. Prepare rice according to package directions.
- 2. Peel shrimp, and devein, if desired.
- 3. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add bell pepper and next 4 ingredients, and sauté 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Stir in soup, shrimp, salt, and pepper; cook 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. (Do not overcook.)
- 4. Combine shrimp mixture and rice. Pour mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with 1 cup shredded cheese and 1/4 cup breadcrumbs.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- *2 (10 3/4-oz.) cans cream of celery soup, undiluted, may be substituted.
- Chicken-and-Rice Casserole: Substitute 3 cups chopped cooked chicken for shrimp and 2 (10 3/4-oz.) cans cream of chicken soup, undiluted, for cream of shrimp soup. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note