This recipe is so delicious !... whether you make it as written or if you have to substitute the type of rice, soup & cheeses to what you have on hand. This time, I used brown rice cooked in half water & half chicken broth, then added sautéed sliced mushrooms, fresh chopped parsley and salt & pepper to it. I couldn’t find Cream of Shrimp Soup so I used 1 can each of Cream of Chicken & Cream of Celery and added some Old Bay Seasoning for the seafood flavor. Also couldn’t find any Cheddar-Colby cheese, so used a Mexican Cheese Blend and it turned out fantastic! I highly recommend this recipe and can’t wait to make it for our next dinner guests!
Photo: Beth Dreiling; Styling: Buffy Hargett
More From Southern Living
Bake: 25 Minutes
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 1/2 pounds medium-size raw shrimp
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 (10 3/4-oz.) cans cream of shrimp soup, undiluted*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Cheddar-colby cheese blend
- 1/4 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 1. Prepare rice according to package directions.
- 2. Peel shrimp, and devein, if desired.
- 3. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add bell pepper and next 4 ingredients, and sauté 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Stir in soup, shrimp, salt, and pepper; cook 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. (Do not overcook.)
- 4. Combine shrimp mixture and rice. Pour mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with 1 cup shredded cheese and 1/4 cup breadcrumbs.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- *2 (10 3/4-oz.) cans cream of celery soup, undiluted, may be substituted.
- Chicken-and-Rice Casserole: Substitute 3 cups chopped cooked chicken for shrimp and 2 (10 3/4-oz.) cans cream of chicken soup, undiluted, for cream of shrimp soup. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles