Photo: Oxmoor House
This recipe was adapted from Barbara Esposito’s low-fat version of a menu favorite at Provision Company in North Carolina.
Yield: Serves 6 (serving size: 1 burger)
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 319
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 5g
- Protein: 27.2g
- Carbohydrate: 28g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 194mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 818mg
- Calcium: 319mg
- 2 slices high-quality whole-wheat bread
- 2 pounds raw large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and divided
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 3/4 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons capers, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- Remaining Ingredients:
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 6 hamburger buns, toasted
- 6 romaine lettuce leaves
- 6 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato
- 1. To prepare burgers, pulse bread in a food processor to coarse crumbs, about 4 pulses. Transfer to a bowl. Place 1 1/2 pounds shrimp into food processor; add egg white, onion, Old Bay, and pepper, and pulse until there is a mix of finely minced pieces and coarsely chopped pieces, about 7 pulses. Add mixture to breadcrumbs.
- 2. Chop remaining 1/2 pound shrimp into 1/2-inch pieces; add to breadcrumb-shrimp mixture. Add 1/4 cup chopped parsley, and mix until combined. Shape mixture into 6 (1/3-cup) balls. To prepare sauce, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon zest, lemon juice, capers, if desired, horseradish, and 1 teaspoon parsley. Reserve.
- 3. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until oil begins to shimmer, about 1 minute. Place 3 shrimp balls in pan, flattening to 1/2-inch thickness. Reduce heat to medium; cook until edges turn pink, and burger looks golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Turn over and cook 3 minutes or until done. Repeat with remaining oil and shrimp balls.
- 4. Spread about 2 tablespoons sauce on each bun bottom. Top each with shrimp burger, lettuce leaf, and tomato slice. Cover with bun tops.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note