This 2006 Cook-Off Finalist appetizer starts with toasted baguette, which is topped with shrimp, cheese, and an avocado salsa.
Southern Living OCTOBER 2006
1. If frozen, thaw shrimp according to package directions. Peel shrimp, and, if desired, devein. Set aside.
2. Cut bread diagonally into 12 (1/2-inch-thick) slices, discarding ends. Coat both sides with cooking spray, and place on a baking sheet.
3. Bake at 375° for 5 to 6 minutes or until edges are crisp. Reserve bread on pan.
4. Peel and coarsely chop avocados, and place in a medium bowl. Add lime juice and next 6 ingredients, and gently combine, being careful to retain small avocado chunks. (Do not mash.) Chill until ready to serve.
5. Sauté garlic in hot oil in a medium skillet over medium heat 1 minute. Add shrimp, in batches, and cook 2 minutes on each side or just until shrimp turn pink. (Shrimp should be slightly undercooked.) Remove from pan, and place 2 shrimp on top of each baguette slice on baking sheet. Top each with 1 Tbsp. Manchego cheese.
6. Broil 5 inches from heat 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven, and top each with 1 to 2 Tbsp. avocado mixture. Garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.
Go to full version of