Shrimp and Broccoli with Honey-Walnut Caramel Sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup walnuts packed in honey, lightly drained, plus 1 tablespoon of the honey from the jar
- 6 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 pound broccoli florets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 4 Thai chiles or 1/2 habanero, thinly sliced
- 1. In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the walnuts and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer the walnuts to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- 2. Add another tablespoon of the oil to the saucepan. Add the garlic, season with pepper and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 4 minutes. Add the 1 tablespoon of the reserved honey; cook over moderate heat, stirring, until deeply browned, 1 minute. Add the soy sauce and simmer until slightly reduced, about 4 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and remove the garlic-caramel sauce from the heat.
- 3. In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the broccoli, cover and cook over moderate heat for 3 minutes. Uncover, add the shrimp and chiles and cook, stirring a few times, just until the shrimp are pink and curled. Stir in the garlic-caramel sauce, sprinkle the walnuts on top and serve.
- Wine Recommendation: An aromatic, fruity-ripe white will balance the heat and sweetness of this simple dish. Try a Viognier, such as the 2002 Fairview from South Africa, or a California white blend, such as the 2002 Conundrum.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This