Cooling rice in the freezer ensures the grains stay separate once stir-fried.
Cooking Light JANUARY 2009
1. Place 1 1/2 cups water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Add rice to pan; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Spoon rice into a 13 x 9–inch baking dish; place dish in freezer.
2. Combine broccoli, bell pepper, and the remaining 1/4 cup water in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave at HIGH 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Set aside.
3. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
4. Increase heat to medium-high. Add shrimp to pan; cook 4 minutes or until shrimp are done. Remove shrimp mixture from pan. Remove rice from freezer.
5. Heat remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add rice to pan; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Combine broth, soy sauce, and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir broth mixture into rice. Add shrimp mixture and broccoli mixture to pan; cook 1 1/2 minutes or until sauce thickens. Sprinkle with almonds and onions.
Go to full version of