Made this for a nice evening with family. I made it for soup and salad night. This will be nice as a first course also. Family enjoyed a lot. This was very good but not a "wow, I have to have all the time. " But I will make it again. Nice that you can make it ahead, which I did.
Yield: 8 Servings
Cost per Serving: $2.76
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 336
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated fat: 13g
- Protein: 19g
- Carbohydrate: 12g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 194mg
- Sodium: 645mg
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, shelled and deveined (reserve shells)
- 1 cup dry white wine or water
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 ribs celery with leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add shrimp shells and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add 2 cups water and wine and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Pour liquid through a fine strainer set over a large bowl, pressing hard to extract as much liquid as possible; discard solids and set aside broth. Wipe out Dutch oven.
- In same Dutch oven, melt remaining 4 Tbsp. butter over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, bay leaf, salt and cayenne and cook, stirring, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add rice and strained liquid from shrimp shells and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Discard bay leaf. Add shrimp and cook, stirring, until pink and cooked through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Set aside 16 shrimp for garnish. Stir in tomatoes.
- Puree mixture in a blender in small batches until smooth. (Soup may be prepared to this point up to 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate.)
- Return mixture to Dutch oven and stir in cream. Bring bisque just to a boil, stirring, over medium heat. To serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with 2 reserved shrimp per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes